6 Quick tips to eliminate sugar cravings:
1. Consume protein at breakfast- Consuming protein in the morning sets the stage for the day for blood sugar stabilization. Starting your day with carbohydrates on the other hand can leave you craving more sugar all day.
2. Just a pinch of Cinnamon- This blood sugar stabilizing spice helps to cut cravings dramatically. Add Cinnamon to your smoothie, hot drinks or steel cut oatmeal each day to maintain blood sugar levels.
3. Eliminate ALL forms of processed sugar including artificial sweeteners. Going cold turkey is the most effective way to successfully cut out sugar for good. The cravings will be gone in as little as 3 days!
4. Consume good fats- Sources of high quality good fats lead to a sensation of fullness and satiety. Add 1-2 tbsp. of coconut oil into your daily diet as well as other sources of good fats such as raw nuts, seeds, avocados and cold pressed extra virgin olive oil.
5. Sleep- Inadequate sleep can lead to a hormone disruption between leptin and ghrelin which are produced while you sleep. Leptin tells your body when you are full and ghrelin stimulates appetite. Sleep deprivation causes massive sugar cravings due to inadequate leptin. Aim for 8 good quality hours of sleep per night.
6. Hydrate- Chronic dehydration can feel like hunger to most people. Often when afternoon cravings strike for something sweet, it is actually your body telling you to drink some water. The goal is to consume half your body weight in ounces of water each day.
7. L-Glutamine- If the cravings are fierce, combine ½ tsp. of the amino acid l-glutamine with 2 tbsp. of water and swish in the mouth for 30 seconds and swallow. The cravings will be instantly gone! Repeat as needed.