Your daily habits will impact your hormones in the most profound way. Creating consistent hormone healthy habits is the single most powerful way to balance your hormones.
Are you doing any of the following on a regular basis?
- Not sleeping 7 or more hours per night
- Eating an extremely low carbohydrate diet
- Skipping meals
- Doing excessive cardio
- Experiencing unmanageable stress
- Have a lack of boundaries in your life
- Consuming excessive caffeine or alcohol
- Consuming excessive sugar
- Not eating enough protein
- Exposing yourself to blue light before bed
- Paralyzed by perfectionism
- Not taking the right supplements
The main message is that your hormones need consistency (NOT PERFECTION).
You can slowly adopt the following habits to create balance in your hormones:
- Consistent sleep patterns- go to sleep and wake up at the same time each day to restore your circadian rhythm. Over time your body will fall into a natural pattern that is easy to maintain. If you are having a hard time falling asleep or staying asleep, try a combination of these 2 natural supplements: Magnesium Breakthrough and Insomnitol Chewables.
- Reduce and manage stress- this is an ongoing project! The goal is not to have zero stress as that is not realistic but to better adopt stress management techniques and eliminate stressors that you are allowing in your life.
- Love your nervous system- add in short daily practices to take your nervous system out of “fight or flight” and into “rest and digest”. Try a 5 min daily meditation and breathwork to calm the sympathetic nervous system.
- Eat quality protein and healthy fats- your hormones love consistent clean protein choices (lean protein, free range eggs, wild salmon or legumes) and good sources of healthy fats (avocado, raw nuts, coconut and extra virgin olive oil).
- Balance your blood sugar- eating 3 meals per day spaced apart by several hours allows for your insulin to have an opportunity to reset itself. Avoid grazing all day and snacking at night as this will further disrupt blood sugar levels.
- Move your body- do what feels best for you but avoid prolonged or excessive cardio which ends up creating an upswing in Cortisol, the stress hormone. Walking, stretching, Pilates, strength training, barre, biking and swimming are all great choices.
- Take the right daily supplements- there are certain nutrients that your hormones require to function optimally and we cannot get them all through even the most perfect diet! The top foundational hormone supportive supplements to start with include Magnesium, Vitamin D3/K2, Activated B Complex and Probiotics.
- Support your digestion- did you know that there is an area of your microbiome that is responsible for hormone production?! By supporting your digestion with the right foods, it can make a significant difference in your hormones. Implement fermented foods such as sauerkraut, kimchi and miso as well prebiotic rich foods like artichoke, garlic, onions, leeks and asparagus. Aim for 30 grams of fiber per day to keep your bowels happy and healthy.
- Reduce your exposure to xenoestrogens- avoid endocrine disruptors found in common household products that disrupt our hormones. Download the Think Dirty App and use the barcode scanner on the products in your home that you are coming into contact with such as cleaning supplies, body care, make up, laundry detergent, shampoo and conditioner. Read more about Xenoestrogens here.
- Have fun- remember fun? This is a big one for so many of us. Fun seems to have gone out the window. Take a few moments and reflect on what you like doing for fun and how you can incorporate some of that back into your life. When we are experiencing positive experiences in our lives there is a shift in hormone production so get out there and find what you love!
If you want to take a deep dive into your hormones and get your levels tested, you can purchase your test kit here (this includes your results consultation): Purchase hormone test kit
If you don’t know where to start and would like the opportunity to work one on one with me, then you can book your appointment here. Either way, I would be honored to walk through this journey with you. Book your appointment