To keep your immune system running at full force, here’s what I recommend:
- Get plenty of restful sleep. Your immune system requires large amounts of energy, so it depends on adequate sleep to function at full capacity. Aim for a minimum of 7-8 hours of quality restful sleep each night. Do everything you can to improve your sleep hygiene and make sleep an absolute priority.
- Reduce stress. Emotional stress ravages our immune system and creates a fierce state of inflammation. Take all measures to reduce stress in your life and practice daily deep breathing and mindfulness.
- Protect your gut. Most of your immune system resides in your gut so keeping your gut healthy and happy will go a long way in protecting you against viruses. Eat a diet that is high in fiber and beneficial bacteria by choosing foods like nuts and seeds, legumes, whole grains, sauerkraut, kimchi, kefir, kombucha and miso. Choose brightly coloured fruits and vegetables in abundance and avoid processed foods and sugar as much as possible.
- Eat your Vitamins. The more nutrition you have, the better and stronger you will be, especially with vitamins A, C and E. Vitamin A-rich foods include carrots, sweet potato and organ meats. Vitamin C-rich foods include bell peppers and citrus. Vitamin E-rich foods include nuts, seeds and leafy greens.
- Sip Bone Broth. This is another daily habit I adopt in the winter and that I recommend my patients follow. Sipping on 8-10 ounces of bone broth not only improves gut function but also provides you with key immune supporting nutrients. You can make your own or purchase it from local health food stores.
Dr Cobi’s Recommended Flu Prevention and Immune Boosting Protocol
Supplements are one of the most potent ways to give your body a boost and drastically improve its ability to fight off infection. Here are some of the most powerful immune-boosting supplements that I recommend taking.
**ALL THESE SUPPLEMENTS ARE 15% OFF IN THE CLINIC OR FROM THE ONLINE STORE (USE DISCOUNT CODE “STOPTHEFLU” AT CHECKOUT) While quantities last
Liquid vitamin D3/K2/A drops - Adults take one dropper full.Vitamin D plays a crucial role in modulating immune system function and a deficiency can put a damper on your ability to fight off infection.
Immucore- Adults take 1 tablet 3 times per day with food. ImmuCore® is designed to provide a multiple mechanistic approach to support immune system health. This formula features Ultra Potent-C®—developed for enhanced cellular uptake of vitamin C—combined with zinc, vitamin D and a concentrated blend of mushroom extracts.
Bio Immunozyme Forte- Adults take 1 tablet 2 times per day with food.A unique, broad-spectrum multiple supplement designed to specifically support normal, healthy immune function. Provides a wide array of vitamin, mineral, botanical, amino acid and organ/glandular specific support.
Vitamin C with Flavonoids- Vitamin C is a key antioxidant that plays an integral role in proper immune function. Adults take 2-4 capsules times per day.
Ultra Flora Balance(keep in fridge)- Adults take 1 capsule per day away from food.
HMF Fit for School- This amazing combination of probiotics, vitamin C and vitamin D in a chewable form is great for boosting a child’s immune system (keep in fridge)-chew 1 tablet per day.
Bio Fizz C-Extra Vitamin C is proven to prevent and treat all strains of the flu virus. This delicious orange flavoured drink is a favourite of our younger patients! - ½ to 1 tsp per day mixed into water.
Vita Kids Immune-Provides important immune-supportive nutrients such as beta-carotene and zinc. This also includes Japanese honeysuckle, blueberry and European elder used in Herbal Medicine to help relieve symptoms of colds and flus. Great-tasting, natural grape-flavoured liquid.1 tsp per day off the spoon, in water or juice.
Immune Boosting Fresh Ginger Tea
To create this tea, follow these steps:
- Juice one to two pounds of ginger and place juice in a jar and refrigerate.
- Place two to four ounces of ginger juice in a mug with the juice of one-half lemon and a large tablespoon of honey.
- Add one-eighth teaspoon of cayenne pepper and six ounces of hot water.
Drink two to six cups of this per day, sipping slowly throughout the day.
Recipe (Throat soothing): Honey Lemon Ginger Cough Drops
½ cup honey
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tsp freshly grated ginger root
- Put ingredients into a small saucepan.
- Stir frequently until it becomes foamy. Be careful because the honey can burn easily.
- Remove from heat and continue to stir until the foam reduces.
- Put the saucepan back on the heat.
- Repeat this until a candy thermometer reads 300F.
- Drop a bit into a glass of ice water. If the mixture forms a hard, crunchy ball, it's ready! If not, keep stirring and heating for another minute or two and try with the ice water again.
- Once a hard ball forms from a drop into the ice water, let the saucepan cool until the foam has reduced.
- Drizzle the candy into a candy mold or onto oiled parchment paper.
- Let cool at room temperature until the cough drops are hard.
- Pop out of the mold or break into pieces and store in an airtight container.
Tip: You can sprinkle them with vitamin C powder to keep them from sticking together.
Blessings and good health to all!