Ongoing fatigue is NOT normal and does not have to be accepted as such. Too often our complaints of fatigue get easily excused or dismissed. While it is normal to an “off” day and experience a fluctuation in your energy levels as a result of over working, stress, injury or a virus. It is however a sign of something much deeper going on if you are constantly struggling to get out of bed and carry on your normal daily life.
Energy production comes from our mitochondria, which is our cellular energy factory inside every single cell in our body. The job of the mitochondria is to convert specific nutrients into energy for us to use and thrive. When the mitochondria are not functioning optimally, fatigue will result.
Here is how it works:
Mitochondria → Glucose (sugar) and nutrients are bound to oxygen → ATP is produced which is our energy. It seems pretty simple but many things can get in the way of this process and signal us with the symptom of fatigue. Hopefully we listen to our body and address the roadblock.
Those roadblocks to energy production can include the following:
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Toxins (heavy metals, environmental toxins, breast implants)
- Mold and Mycotoxins (this is quite common)
- Parasites and other gut infections
- Chronic viral infections
- Lyme disease
- Hidden dental infections (this one robbed my Mom of her health for 2 years!)
- Emotional trauma (it is amazing how emotional trauma presents in our physical body)
- Blocked drainage pathways (stay tuned for tips on how to easily open these pathways up)
The takeaway message here is that if you are struggling with chronic fatigue or you have been diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, do not accept it. There is a root cause- there always is! Work with a functional medicine practitioner who is willing to dig in with you and get your life back!