I don’t have a parasite, right?! Well...

Many practitioners believe that if you have a pulse, you have parasites! Well, while this might be a slight exaggeration, it is actually not too far from the truth. We actually get exposed to parasites regularly but if our immune system is strong and our gut function is optimal then our body can take care of business. The issue is that many people are overly stressed, under nourished and completely burnt out! This sets the stage for the opportunistic parasite to take up residence in your body.

Here are a few ways that parasite exposures can happen:

  • Contaminated water
  • Pets
  • Undercooked or raw meat
  • Raw fish (aka sushi)
  • Poorly washed fruits and veggies
  • Soil exposure
  • Travel to other countries
  • Swimming in infected lakes, ponds or creeks
  • Other infected humans

Reading that list might make you feel like just staying home and isolating! The takeaway message is to live life to the fullest- swim in the lakes, eat the yummy food and hug lots of people but keep your immune system strong and your gut happy so that when you get exposed (as exposure is inevitable), you will not be negatively affected by these pesky critters!